Author Topic: The Tangent Bow  (Read 6657 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: The Tangent Bow
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 07:50:34 pm »
I have 1 similar in the works I hope it turns out half as nice what you got there ;) great job!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 07:52:24 pm »
real nice bow, i bet it's fast with no set like that, well done
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Starfire

• Starfire Graphics
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 07:56:00 pm »
Nice, love the super thin handle
I work to live, not live to work

Offline rps3

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 08:01:44 pm »
Very nice.

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 08:41:20 pm »
Sweeet Ryan....now we just need to get some "real" bow wood in your hands to see what you really can do..ehemm..osage. lol :laugh: outta be a good shooter

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 11:01:02 pm »
I really like that design. Might have to steal it LOL
Great job.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 01:51:09 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words guys! I greatly appreciate it. Its hard for me to comment on the bows speed since I don't have much experience shooting bows other than my own but it does seem quick. The string tension at brace is great but I think that may also be due to the high brace height for such a short bow. Also the look of the back is just the way the cambium looks after sanding. Sometimes I take it all off but decided to leave it on this time. I think it helps show the trapping as well.

If anyone has more questions about the design feel free to ask or PM me. I'd love to share.

OneBow, I was thinking the same thing and even after examining the pic over and over again I'm still not sure if its stiff or even!  :o

Bradley, I can't say whether or not it performs better by observation. But by design it seems as though it should perform better than both. With more bend in the inner limb than both designs and more narrow outer limbs it should store more energy and have less outer limb mass than the other designs if at the same length. If you look at the width at the fades, mid limb, and the tips one would assume that it is a pyramid, but the concave and convex taper change where the work should be done along the limb and, in my opinion, make it a very efficient design.

PatM, That's too clever!

blackhawk, My hope is that I can turn any wood into "real" bow wood with my skillz.  8)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 04:21:15 pm »
I've been a proponent of narrowing the  backs of most wood bows for many years now.  Glad to see others doing it. With  hickory, I think it helps a lot to get rid of tension wood that is just along for the ride.

Beautiful bow too. Great work.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline adb

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 05:23:30 pm »
Very nice bow. I would call that a basic pyramid bow.

Offline PatM

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 05:45:49 pm »
Clearly you didn't read the exact layout of the bow.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 08:43:02 pm »
Very nice bow!  It looks like a shooter to me.  You guys are always giving me food for thought and it is amazing how much one can learn from the bows that get posted.  I appreciate you posting this one.  The comment about trapping and getting rid of the "extra tension wood that is just along for the ride" made a bell inside my head go off.  That is something I am going to employ on my next bow.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 09:09:13 pm »
AWESOME!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline steve b.

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 09:22:49 pm »
ryoon, that is really cool.  I have a question as I'm doing an almost identical oak bow and I see this all the time here with the pyramids.  Your bow is perfectly straight.  Was your stave that straight or do you just ignore the stave shape and cut the bow straight?  On my bow I still did the pyramid and trapping but I followed the stave shape and so ended up with a wobbly pyramid.  thx.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 09:38:40 pm »
Thanks guys!  ;D

steve b., My stave was straight for this one and usually if its straight enough I'll still just draw a center line on it instead of following the slight wobble. Following the grain is fine but the important thing is that the tips and handle line up. If not then you'll probably have to do some heat correcting.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 10:14:13 pm »
Very nice.  Great job on the tiller.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.